Thursday, January 20, 2011

Red-Letter Day: Black Turnstones, Black Oystercatchers

One of my favorite birding spots is along the rocky shore and inlet of San Pablo Bay near San Francisco. It's a spot where I regularly see egrets, gulls, sandpipers, grebes and more. This past Monday -- Martin Luther King, Jr. Day -- I found myself back at my familiar haunt. I was listening to NPR on my iPod as I often do while birding. King's "I Have A Dream" speech was being rebroadcast in its entirety. I was marveling to myself how powerful that speech was and still is when I spied these Black Turnstones and Black Oystercatchers. The Black Turnstone is a lifer for me. The irony of seeing these two "black" birds on this day was not lost on me.

5 comments:

  1. A most beautiful series! Fantastic images! Amazing detail. Congratulations on the life bird! Black Turnstones are such pretty birds and your photographs show it off perfectly. Love the Black Oystercatcher too. Wonderful post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing these fine pictures, Jann. This is the first time I see a Black Turnstone. Lifer for you and a "cyber" life bird for me :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow, those black turnstones are handsome birds. Beautiful photos, thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  4. Julie, thanks for your kind comments. High praise from someone whose talents I admire so much!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stunning images! A new species for me. You captured it in exquisite detail and action!

    ReplyDelete